Did you know?
BCN is currently transitioning to PPPoE authentication for Home and Business customers. Click here for more information.
- Our Board of Directors is appointed by the BCN membership and includes representatives from tribal councils, political territorial organizations and independent First Nation communities.
- Our network is one of the largest First Nations community networks in Canada, spanning over 1000km, encompassing a large portion of the province of Manitoba.
- Our services facilitate access too many critical services; including health care (telehealth), education, justice, and governance.
- Our business model has been developed which promotes the growth of local First Nations businesses, who employ and train First Nations people.
“BCN’s mission is to build a strong broadband network connecting northern, remote and Aboriginal communities in Manitoba through access and infrastructure.”
BCN recognizes the human growth and potential of individuals in remote and aboriginal communities as well as the positive impact that local business can foster in these communities. Therefore it is our goal to ensure that applications in e-health, e-learning, e-government, e-commerce and e-justice are accessible. Further, we believe in the importance of information technology for the effective participation of business and organizations in today’s economy. Effective information technology systems provide communications and information-sharing capabilities that have trans-formative effects on business operations and relationships. As well as afford better management of resources, and increased operational efficiencies.
- BCN was a recipient of a BRAND funding project in the amount of 5.5 million dollars, which facilitated Internet services to some 28 First Nations, rural and remote communities (2006).
- BCN was a recipient of a BCP funding project in the amount of 1.8 million dollars, which were used to improve network delivery to some 40 Manitoban communities and facilitate rollout to new service areas (2010).
- BCN was awarded funding from AANDC to develop technical specifications to deploy fibre infrastructure to the Island Lake region (2012)
- Ongoing participation in several important provincial and federal working groups; Northern Indigenous Community Satellite Network (2005), AFN National ICT Think-tank (2010), Manitoba Regional Telehealth Partnership Group (2008), Manitoba First Nations Technology Council (2011)
- Ongoing service provider of broadband, technical and helpdesk services to several federal and provincial clients – on a daily basis, BCN is providing technical services and support to over 150 (health care, education, justice, and civic) facilities in Manitoba
- BCN has developed effective relationships with vendors and other partners that aid in the rollout of technical projects. Such technical projects have included tower construction, shelter construction, large scale computer distribution, video-conferencing deployments, connectivity solution deployment, and wired and wireless infrastructure deployment.
Our management team brings a widely diverse range of skill sets and training backgrounds to the table. Combined the management team has over 75 years of working experience in the ICT industry. The team holds a combination of the following designations:
- Bachelor of Science (Business Computing)
- Masters Business Administration (MBA - in progress)
- Certified Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL)
- Comptia A+ Certified (A+)
- Comptia Network+ Certified (Network+)
- Comptia Server+ Certified (Server+)
- Comptia Security+ Certified (Security+)
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP - in progress)
- Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP)
- Microsoft Certified Professional + Internet (MCP+I)
- Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE)
- Microsoft Certified Trainer (MCT)
- Certified Novell Administrator (CNA)
- Certified Novell Engineer (CNE)
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)
- Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP)
- Cisco Certified Design Associate (CCDA)
- Cisco Certified Design Professional (CCDP)